A Family Feast
45 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ pound organic zucchini, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 stalk organic celery with leaves, diced
- ½ cup celery root diced
- ½ cup white turnip diced, about one small turnip (AKA purple turnip)
- 4 cups diced mixed organic bell peppers (green, red, orange and yellow)
- 1 medium organic jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and minced fine
- 1 pound ground beef (to be Whole30 compliant, should be grass fed or grass finished ground beef)
- 1 pound ground pork (to be Whole30 compliant should be organic ground pork)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 14.5-ounce can organic fire roasted tomatoes (to be Whole30 compliant, only ingredients should be tomatoes and salt)
- 1 28-ounce can Cento kitchen ready tomatoes (to be Whole30 compliant, only ingredients should be tomatoes and salt)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste (to be Whole30 complaint, only ingredients should be tomatoes and salt)
- 1 pound organic plum tomatoes, cored and diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dry basil
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 can pitted black olives sliced, to use as garnish
- 1 small bunch organic scallions minced for garnish
Set a large Dutch oven on the stove but do not heat yet. Have a spider or other kind of strainer standing by.
On an adjoining burner, heat a very large skillet over medium high heat and add ½ cup of the olive oil.
Add zucchini and cook for four minutes, turning with a wooden spoon. With the strainer or spider, move the zucchini to the Dutch oven but do not add heat yet.
Keep the skillet hot and add onions, garlic, celery, celery root and turnip.
Cook for three minutes and add bell peppers and jalapeno.
Cook for two more minutes and pour mixture into pot with zucchini.
Add remaining oil to skillet and once hot, add ground beef, ground pork and fennel seeds. Break apart with a wooden spoon and cook until all pink is gone.
While beef is cooking, add both cans of tomatoes to Dutch oven along with tomato paste, fresh tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
Place a diffuser under the pot and turn heat to medium high.
Once beef and pork are cooked, add to the Dutch oven including all fat and liquid from the skillet. Stir into other ingredients.
Once the mixture starts to bubble fast, lower to a medium simmer and cook for 30 minutes uncovered stirring occasionally.
After 30 minutes, stir in chopped cilantro and serve with garnishes of sliced olives and chopped scallions.